Bun dau mam tom is a rustic food from Northern Vietnam. But nowadays it becomes popular in many zones of Vietnam and especially trendy in Saigon. The dish is a combination of rice noodles (bun), fried tofu (dau), shrimp paste (mam tom)-a kind of dipping sauce made of shrimp and salt, served with some odoriferous herbs and sliced cucumber.
I first ate Bun dau mam tom when I came to Ha Noi 2 years ago. By the way if you have a chance to visit Ha Noi, try the popular Bun Dau Mam Tom restaurant in Phat Loc alley, Hoan Kiem Dist.
“Mam tom” is the heart of this dish. I dont know if you can stand the smell of the shrimp paste or not because it’s even smelly than fish sauce but the taste is really awesome to my opinion ) (I also love eating rice with steamed pork, pickled egg plants and shrimp paste, will show you the pic if i have chance).
How to make Bun dau mam tom:
- Rice noodles (small strand)
- Tofu blocks
- Lime or Kumquat
- Herbs, Cucumber
- Shrimp paste
1. Steam the pork then slice it (thin or thicker cut depends on you, I prefer this thick )
2. Cut the tofu blocks into cubes then pan fry them with oil until golden (or you can fry the big blocks first and cut them later, if so the cubes won’t be golden all 6 sides)(Picture source: http://www.ifood.tv, http://www.slashfood.com)
3. Prepare the sauce: put some drops of lime or kumquat juice into the shrimp paste then stir them well until you see white bubbles. Pour a little boiled oil into the mix, then follow your own taste adding some chilli slices and sugar to finish the dipping sauce.
4. Cut the bun of noodles into small buns
5. Display all on a plate with herbs and cucumber slices (ofcourse after they are all washed thoroughly)
Done and enjoy it! So easy and simple!
People also eat Bun dau mam tom with boiled pig’s stomach and “Cha com”
(Picture source: http://news.giadinhnho.com/am-thuc/meo-vat-noi-tro/52516-meo-nho-luoc-long-lon-ngon.html)
(Picture source: http://my.opera.com/duyanh76/blog/show.dml/7369531)
Fun tip: pls have some chewing gums to fresh your breath after eating Bun dau mam tom =)))
(Bun dau Co Khan’s address: 102/1B Cong Quynh, Dist.1, HCMC)